Wednesday 30 August 2017

Cumquat Wine Home Made

Anything is possible when you master the basics of home brewing.
With 5kg fresh cumquats picked from my friend Belinda's tree, 6kg sugar, 8g fruit yeast and 15 litres of cooled boiled water I have created this amazing Cumquat Wine.


This gorgeous cumquat wine is very pleasant to drink now but of course I will see how some ages in a cool room.
It's very drinkable and at 8% ABV - alchohol content
It is the perfect summer drink.


Buon appetito, enjoy Merryn xx

7 comments:

  1. 5kg freshly picked cumquats would cost a fortune over here...lucky you, Merryn. The wine must taste amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting Angie, I just assumed cumquats were grown and were cheap everywhere. Mind you, I would like to get a hold of sassafras bark and that is incredibly expensive in Australia 8)

      Delete
  2. Lucky you! Sounds like a fun project. I don't believe I've ever had cumquat wine -- now you've got me really curious! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very pleasant John and very light and drinkable.

      Delete
  3. Merryn you are so clever! Hats off to a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha my grandfather used to make this. Of course I never tasted it as I was a child at the time!. I am more impressed with the bottles of wine you have drunk in order to bottle the cumquat wine. ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi There, Im in Sydney AU. I have just harvested 8.5kg Naigaimi cumquats from my tree and planning on following your recipe to make some wine. I wanted to ask how long you did you initial fermentation for and did you do a secondary fermentation and for how long? Then did you age in the bottle? was there any backsweetening or was it dry? Im very excited to ferment some cumquats so hoping for a few more details and any learnt tips. Many Thanks, Helena

    ReplyDelete