Sunday 30 April 2017

Simple Seafood Paella

We have a council clean up happening in our area during the coming week.  We culled, sorted and dumped out the front so much 'stuff' it was quite liberating, but also very tiring.  Two old double beds, a few boxes of kitchen implements, more boxes of garage junk and we had quite a large assortment of household objects waiting for collection.  During council clean ups people drive around with their utes and trailers collecting items that other people don't want so it is also a good way of recycling goods within our community before the council comes to collect what is left behind.




What do you cook when you don't feel like cooking?  A lovely simple Seafood Paella (pronounced pay-ee-ya) that is always a family favourite.  I take out a portion of the rice mixture before adding the seafood and place it in small pan and add 2 chopped chicken thighs for my daughter who doesn't like seafood, except for smoked salmon (no I don't understand this choice either) but she has recently become a vegetarian so smoked salmon and chicken are now off the menu.


I was too tired to cook even this so we ordered home delivered pizza thus it was an easy night and the finale of My Kitchen Rules was on and there were no distractions in the kitchen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Simple Seafood Paella

1 red onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 small red capsicum, diced
2 chorizo, diced
2 tomatoes, also diced
1 cup peas
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
3 1/2 cups hot chicken stock
Seafood of your choice; I used 700g white fish fillets cut into 2.5cm pieces
                                       1 squid tube cut into rings aprox 1/2cm wide 
                                       400g green prawns, vein removed, tail intact
Serves 6

Fry the onion for 5 minutes at a gentle heat, add garlic, capsicum and chorizo.  Fry for another 5 minutes then add the tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes have broken down, about 5 minutes.  Add the peas and rice, stir until the rice is well coated.  Add 1/2 cup white wine and cook for 2 minutes before adding the chicken stock.  Stir well and then leave untouched for 15 minutes, adding a little more stock if needed.
Then add the seafood, slightly pushing the pieces into the rice.
Cook for 5 more minutes, check seafood is cooked, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve in the pan in which it was cooked.
                                       
Optional;  some people like to shave fresh parmesan over the top or add some dried chilli flakes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you have a free council clean up in your area and do you take advantage of this by spring cleaning?

Buon appetito Enjoy Merryn xx

22 comments:

  1. You have me at 'simple'! I love simple and delicious food, but never have I connected Paella with simplicity. That's why I haven't had this classic in at least 5 years..now I can't wait to try your recipe. Thanks, Merryn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a compliment from you Angie, thank you so much 8)

      Delete
  2. Like the previous commenter, "simple" is the key. I'll definitely give this dish a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John it is indeed simple but does look involved, thanks for your comment and please enjoy a Seafood Paella whenever it's convenient 8)

      Delete
  3. How nice you can get rid of things this way! And what a great meal :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Tandy we are lucky our council offers this collection service and this is a delicious but easy seafood meal 8)

      Delete
  4. Council clean-up sounds like a very efficient way to recycle and clear out unwanted or unused items. Also you seafood paella sounds wonderful. I received a special pan to make my own paella for Christmas and have never used it yet, will use your delicious recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lucky you received a paella pan, they are gorgeous pans,thanks Cheri ;)

      Delete
  5. Love easy, simple and delish dishes like this. This seafood paella looks absolutely delish. I am vegetarian but my family adores seafood like anything, I am sure they'll love it. Thanks for this lovely recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anu you can use vegetable stock, substitute fried tofu for the seafood and add more vegetables.

      Delete
  6. One of my favourite dishes ever, I love paella and always make them on special occasions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you make an amazing paella Raymund and with your locally sourced seafood it would be amazing :)

      Delete
  7. We have those clean-ups twice a year. And also having people driving around poking through our junk. Amazing what some people will take! Anyway, love seafood paella -- and yours looks wonderful. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am impressed to hear you too have council cleanups. They are quite amusing when you see the activity surrounding each pile of 'stuff'. I am sure you cook an amazing paella John 8)

      Delete
  8. I need to do some spring cleaning, too!!! So liberating to get rid of stuff. My mom would make paella for special occasions--but I'm loving your easier version. Hope to get it on the menu soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz, yes a good spring clean is so liberating, follow it up with an easy dinner and you will feel so good 8)

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the lovely comment on my post.
    I do love paella.
    I'll follow your blog; it's so cute.
    Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Manu I am happy to follow you as well x

      Delete
    2. Thank you Manu I am happy to follow you as well x

      Delete
  10. I love paella, but I haven't tried one with a seafood. Your recipe seems so tasty, Merryn!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for your kind comment Agness this is a delicous recipe 8)

    ReplyDelete