Sunday 14 December 2014

Chipotles Home Smoked

In spring I planted two jalapeno bushes, with the idea of smoking my own chipotles.
Where I live you have to mail order them so I thought it would be very convenient to make my own.

I also grow cayenne peppers, long mild chillies, Thai chillies and birds eye chillies



I picked 850 grams of fresh green jalapenos, weighed them, then washed them and let them air dry.



I cut the stalks off and split some of them open to see if they would dry better when opened.
Then I started the outside smoker, using soaked hickory and apple chips.



There was also a stray purple capsicum added to the shelf.


Maintaining the temperature at a constant 150ºF  (66 ºC).
After 8 hours they were beautifully smoked and quite dry.



I transferred the chipotles to the food dehydrator and turned it on low.


After 8 hours they were perfectly smoked and totally dried.
Success!

Buon appetito, enjoy Merryn xx

10 comments:

  1. wow, well done on making something like that yourself. how long will they last like that? and what do you do with them to use them - soak in water or oil to rehydrate? or just use as you would dry chilli flakes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pour a little boiling water over them to cover and let sit for 20 - 30 minutes. Then remove and chop the chilli, adding the soaking liquid as well to the dish. Purchased chipotles last for years so these should as well E. I have placed some silicon sachets (reused from vitamin pills) in the jar with them. I have seen chipotle powder in dishes so you could add them as such, if you ground them. They are quite hard and dry. I have a friend who stores them in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is fantastic that you did your own! I haven't touched my food dehydrator in years but you're making me want to take it out again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least it will still work when you take it out again. I put mine in the laundry and dry out overnight as the machine is quite noisy.

      Delete
  4. Wow, I'm impressed! I use chipotles all the time, but never tried smoking my own jalapenos to make them. Really fun post -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, it was a fun project and I deliberately grew the jalapenos for this purpose :D

      Delete
  5. Dear Merryn,

    I can imagine the smoky aromas on these and they would be awesome in so many recipes too, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smoky aroma is amazing, both the smoking and drying procedures created a lovely smell in the air.

      Delete
  6. Wow what a fantastic idea making your own. I never really thought about making them before this.cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Necessity is the mother of invention. I have to mail order them and it seemed simple enough to create my own.

      Delete